Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Chappelle’s Show


Dave Chappelle suddenly decided he needed to do some stand-up at Montreal’s Just For Laughs Festival. I just as suddenly decided I needed to see him do stand-up at Montreal’s Just For Laughs Festival. I found this out about five minutes before tickets went on sale, and thought it would be a breeze to pick some up. Six hours and many cups of tea later, I finally managed to snag a pair of prime tickets to the last of ten scheduled shows.


My good friend D and I entered the theatre, hopeful but unsure of what to expect. After all, it had been a long time since Chappelle had been on stage, and mumblings of his shows earlier in the week gave mixed reviews.

Harold and Kumar go to Chappelle's Show
The show was amazing, from beginning to end - easily one of the best I’ve seen (last shows usually are). The openers were Neal Brennan and Hannibal Buress. Brennan had a few good zingers and Buress killed, leaving the audience in just the right mood before the master took stage. Suffice it to say that by then Chappelle had finessed his material to the point where there were many hits, no misses, and you felt you were having an intimate conversation with him. A hilarious conversation.


No comments: