Monday, March 18, 2013

Canadian Bacon


The Canadian Revenue Agency sent me a letter notifying me of an issue that provoked dreaming up all sorts of nightmarish scenarios. I called the toll-free number and I guess I must have sounded really nervous as the nice lady on the other end, Barb, helped me to calm down and told me assuredly not to worry ‘cause we’d get through this together. She sorted out my issue and answered all my related questions in about five minutes. Then we just chatted. She asked me about my day, what I did for a living (she thought it was really cool), and if I had anyone to help me out; we commiserated about the difficulties and joys of traveling abroad, and she spoke fondly of her husband. Lastly, she apologized for the government’s use of antiquated technology, and wished me good luck and a good day.

From "Hark! A Vagrant" by Kate Beaton

I can’t believe I’m actually saying this, but I miss Canadian bureaucracy.



No comments: